Monday, December 1, 2014

Are you a bigot?


Bigotry is a state of mind: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats other people with hatred, contempt, and intolerance on the basis of a person's race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, language, socioeconomic status, or other status.

I hate bigotry; it's a disease.  Stereotyping individuals and groups is the first step to bigotry in my mind. I'm not immune to the disease, when times are tough, innocents are hurt, or you feel out of control, it's easy, maybe natural, to blame those that are different than you. It's their fault not mine. I'm better than that, I'm superior. Stereotyping is the foundation of bigotry.  

I'm not a psychologist and I don't know if the following test is meaningful. The test is easy, there are no right and wrong answers. Just carefully read each word in the list and note your emotional response. If you feel anger, disgust, frustration or superiority, ask yourself why. After all, it's just a list of words. You are the one that put emotion in them.

MICKY MOUSE
REPUBLICAN
MUSLIM
IMMAGRENT
BANKER
WELFARE
CHRISTAIN
NRA
MEXICAN
ATHIEST
RICH
MOHAMMED
LESBO
WHITE
TEA PARTY
FRANCE
LIBERAL
POPE
BUSH
HOMOSEXUAL
BLACK
MIGHTY MOUSE

No comments:

Post a Comment